Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day Roundup

About the only thing you can do to get in trouble on Mother's Day is to forget it or to bad moth someone's Mamma. For someone like me who sort of "looks for trouble" this is a challenge. Like many churches we do the little Mother's Day ritual of giving away corsages to certain Moms. We usually do the oldest Mother, Mother with the most children and the Mother with the youngest child. Yesterday I told the church we were going to do things a little differently. I told them (in jest) that we were going to recognize the most Godly Mother, the Mother with the Godliest children and the Most Improved Mother, someone who was a pretty lousy Mother this time last year but has shown great improvement over the last year. We all had a great laugh and did it the old way. Forgive me for my thoughts but I really could have picked those three out of the people in attendance!

I don't understand high attendance on Mother's Day. I know some of those folks are coming to please their Mothers or because of tradition and I certainly don't mind that some of the people are lost. I guess I am not so confused about Mother's Day as I am about why believers would forsake the church so many other Sundays. Let's have a teach the Pastor day. Please explain one or both of the following Scriptures to me:

  • Hebrews 10:24-25 24And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
  • And/Or any portion of 1 Corinthians 12 you want to teach to me.
Both of these Scriptures have implications far beyond mere attendance. Based on your reading: how often, how consistently and why should we be at church?

3 comments:

Delma said...

Some might say as long as I'm there on Sunday morning - I don't need more. I would say to all that it is just like morning devotionals and time with Christ. It is time with Christ and others who want, need, desire to come closer to him, need to have time with other believers in order to strengthen their faith and worship and service. Oh the s word! I for one don't always FEEL like going or serving or praying or listening (notice I said nothing about music - lol). But I for one always REJOICE that I have gone - that applies to Sunday morning and night and Wednesday night too. And as a bonus any other opportunity to fellowship, worship, and learn with others in this family of mine of believers. Without these opportunities my faith and growth would be drastically affected - not to the good. Make the effort and receive the blessings. And that is what these scriptures are saying to - pretty straight forward - "do not" (no question there - leaves no option in my understanding of the english language) - nuf said - I love my Dacus family

Chuck Bryce said...

Well put. Only one thing I wonder about. I almost never feel like NOT going. Am I wierd?

Anonymous said...

Heb. 10:24-25 is one of my favorite scriptures…In fact, it has become our Sunday School class motto. Notice that is says love and good works need to be ‘stirred up’…they don’t just occur! We, as a body of believers, have a huge impact on one another and that, in my opinion, is why we should gather together. Church is a place where we give and receive encouragement to one another. I can honestly say we are closer to members in our church family then to people in our immediate family! When we gather, we should also stand in the gap for one another and bear each others burdens…there will be a time when the shoe will be on the other foot and we will be the one needing the prayers and support. In our household, church is never an option…it is a place we look forward to coming to every time the doors are open. I’ve never understood how people can stay home from church if it’s ‘too rainy’ or ‘too pretty’ outside, or they 'just don't feel like coming' Try telling that to a boss and see how it works for you! We, as Christians, should have the attitude of coming to worship and glorify a Living King (who by the way, created us for this very purpose) every Sunday, carry that worship over into our week, and make worshipping God our lifestyle!